Monday, November 3, 2008

County Cork Ireland


My people come from County Cork, at least my Irish ancestors. Finding that it is on the coast makes me understand my (& my bother's) love of the sea. The smell of the sea is in our blood-it come to this Country with our ancestors. The beauty of the windswept coastline. It is what touched me about the the Oregon/Washington coast, and why that part of the Country calls me back more each day.
It is from both my Irish & Native American heritages that I get my "second sight", my love of the land, my affinity for Nature, my superstitions. I always, in my youth, had very much the look of the Irish upon me -blue eyes, freckles, reddish hair. But as I matured more & more my Native side surfaces. Most everyone I meet comments that I must be Native. I like the idea that who I am shows so on the outside. After all, who says you can't be a blue-eyed Indian.

An Irish Prayer

May God give you...
For every storm, a rainbow,
For every tear, a smile,
For every care, a promise,
And a blessing in each trial.
For every problem life sends,
A faithful friend to share,
For every sigh, a sweet song,
And an answer for each prayer.

Blessed be...

1 comment:

butterflies said...

Youre a beautiful Irish Indian woman and it shows.You carry the spirits of both ancestors.
Love you!!