Thursday, March 25, 2010

Are you a "Girly Girl"?



I have never described myself as a "girly" girl.  When I heard that term I always thought of a very frilly, bouncy type of female.  You know all kinda "cotton candy-like".  I am more the jeans, leather jacket, t-shirt, & boots kinda gal.  Hanging with the guys.  Going on Adventures.  I always thought I was too tough, too brash, too outspoken to be defined as "girly". But, I do wear jewelry.  Lots of jewelry.  Always have.  I pile on the bracelets, rings, & never go out without earrings.  I wear make-up.  Less than I used to but much more artfully applied than in the "blue eyeshadow days".  And I do like for my hair to look good.  Not "done" but casually attractive-I don't mind if it gets blown around in the convertable or on the back of a Harley, but I want to be able to brush it, shake it out & look good when I get out.  Back in the day,  I wore braids quite often, ususally just one long one down my back.

Then, one day several years ago, a guy I know called me a "girly" girl.  WHAT????!!??  He went on to say that of course I was "girly", that in fact I was quite "girly".  Some of it had to do with my figure (I am curvy), but mostly he said it had to do with the fact I wear makeup, do my hair, & wear jewelry even when I am in jeans, t-shirt, boots, & leather.  Also because I will not leave the house without earrings.  Who knew that made you "girly".  So, I took a poll of the guys I know.  BIG SURPRISE...they ALL thought I was "girly".  Guess the fact I can cuss like a sailor does not detract from the overall girliness.  Huh, was I ever surprised that guys see me that way. 

My oldest granddaughter embraces her girliness.  She wears at least one article of pink with everything.  She loves jewelry & has since before she could really talk.  She is one tough little cookie, but she is a girl & likes girl-things.  I was afraid I would not be able to relate to her girliness but I was oh so wrong.  We connect on several levels.  She is a mini-me with the attitude to match.  I am so sorry for that my dear son!!  But it does crack me up big-time.

So, I have embraced my "girliness".  I now relish being girly.  I wallow in girliness.  I strive for girliness & being feminine.  Still don't wear ruffles, but I do pile on the pearls from time to time.  I do wear diamonds occasionally.  And I never leave the house without my earrings.

~~blessed be...

1 comment:

butterflies said...

Im a girly girl..so are you babe:)
we embrace being female..being a woman..being sensual..being pretty..
Hey nothing wrong with us..we ARE GIRLS!!! wooohooo celebrate it sister ..
I love you xoxoxoxoxo