Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Today

"There is no such thing in anyone's life as an unimportant day."
Alexander Woollcott

*********************************************

In thinking about this I thought how many times I had lived a day that I thought just wasn't too important in the whole scheme of things. Just an average day. Maybe I went to work or the store. Maybe I strolled the mall. Just an unimportant day. Then I thought deeper. I began to realize that every day no matter where I am or what I am doing, I touch someone else's life. Whether it is a client at work either on the phone or in person, a clerk, the maintenance man, the counter person at the deli, just someone I pass on my stroll. In some way by either my look, words, manner, demeanor, smile, or lack of one I touch that person's life & have the ability to perhaps make it a better day for them. We never know what another person is going through on any given day at any given time, but we are all at one time or another experiencing trauma, grief, disappointment, hardship, heartache, or just an all around crappy day. Just a smile or a kind hello can make all the difference. A pat on the shoulder, a friendly glance. It can all change the day for someone who is going through something of which we are not aware. No longer will I think the day is unimportant. Any day, in any way we can be of service to others. Sometimes we never even know it.







Blessed be...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Peace be with you

Wife, Mom, and Slave said...

I'm so glad you wrote this because it is so true. Last week I went through the Mc Donald's drive thru near our home. It was about 38 degrees with an Oklahoma wind (something these southerners know nothing about). The little girl at the window taking my order looked frozen. She had only a hoodie on. I told her she needed some gloves and she agreed but told me it would be hard to hand back change with gloves. So she serves me my coke and I pull away. I had no make up on, no bra and pajama pants. All that to say I would normally never go into a store looking like that. I couldn't stand to think of this poor girl freezing all day just trying to make a living. I drove down to the 5 and Below store to find her some gloves. I actually found the kind that had the fingers cut out. The neat part was they had a mitten part where you could unbutton it and cover your fingers when you weren't counting change. I drove back to the Mc Donald's and she looked at me kinda puzzled as I drove up. I told her how I couldn't stand to think of her freezing all day and tossed the gloves her way. I reminded her that I have many times been freezing while performing a job and that I hoped she'd be a bit warmer from now on. She thanked me several times and told me I did NOT have to do that for her. I explained to her that I knew I didn't have to but rather I WANTED to help her. It felt wonderful to touch someone's life that way. I know there have been many times when I was in need and a stranger met my needs. I hope I repaid one of my debts to society on that brisk day last week. All that to say this: thanks for writing this post. It's inspired me to reach out even further to those who just need a small pick me up!

Wife, Mom, and Slave said...

Hmm...maybe I should have just blogged all of that and then linked to your blog. Oh well, you live, you learn.